Saturday, May 7, 2016

Today, meet my friend Marilyn and her book Crushing Death



Crossing Paths in Person and the Internet

Often the friends we meet on the Internet become close even if we haven’t ever met them in person.
My first encounter with the name Serita Stevens RN was when I purchased her book, Deadly Doses, a writer’s guide to poisons, published by Writers Digest Books.  The book has been extremely useful to me when I’ve wanted to poison someone—in one of my books, of course. I know I’ll be using the book again.
I believe the only time I saw her in person was at a small romance conference in Fresno—long ago. I don’t remember much about it, though I do know we exchanged a few words.
We were on some listserves together and some emailing back and forth.
Now that Serita is also published by Oak Tree Press, I have been reacquainted with her, and know that she’s now writing screenplays and teaching screenplay writing. Recently, Serita emailed me with some suggestions for putting a proposal together for mystery series. When and if I’ll do it, I don’t know, but thanks to Serita I know what to do.
I have many other Facebook friends I’ve never met in person—but I know the chance is always there. Maybe not as big a chance as there used to be since I’m not flying anymore. But I still do travel around California with my daughter at the wheel becuase I don’t drive in the big cities anymore.
When you get to be my age, you treasure all the friends you have. Thank you, Serita for being a friend.
Do any of you have favorite friends you’ve met on the Internet?
Marilyn aka F. M. Meredith

A Crushing Death
A pile of rocks is found on a dead body beneath the condemned pier, a teacher is accused of molesting a student, the new police chief is threatened by someone she once arrested for violent attacks on women, and Detective Milligan’s teenage daughter has a problem.
Buy link:


Bio:
F. M. Meredith who is also known as Marilyn Meredith is nearing the number of 40 published books. Besides being an author she is a wife, mother, grandma and great-grandmother. Though the Rocky Bluff she writes about is fictional, she lived for over twenty-years in a similar small beach town. Besides having many law enforcement officers in her family she is counts many as friends. She teaches writing, loves to give presentations to writing and other groups, and is a member of Mystery Writers of America, three chapters of Sisters in Crime and on the board of Public Safety Writers Association.
Facebook: Marilyn Meredith
Twitter: MarilynMeredith
Contest: Once again, the person who comments on the most blogs during this tour, can have a character named after them in the next Rocky Bluff P.D. mystery. Tomorrow you can find me here:








7 comments:

  1. Most of my social media friends are on facebook and are either former law enforcement or current law enforcement. Some I've never met, some that agree with my comments and some that don't. But we have civil discourse and enjoy the banter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joe, there are a lot of my friends I don't agree with--but that's okay--they are still my friends. And I certainly count you as one I've met and enjoyed spending time with.

      Delete
  2. I'm out here in California because of a friend I met online. I was writing and quilting at the time, and we met on a quilt site, got involved in a quilt round-robin, and became great friends. It is through her influence I landed here on the Central Coast. We've since lost touch and I miss her every day.

    Most of my current friends are "old" schoolmates (I won't say how old! LOL) I keep in touch with through social media, plus my writing and church friends I met since I moved here. It continues to amaze me how small our world has become since the advent of the internet and all its accoutrements. And how it's changed our writing... things can't happen the way they used to anymore, and our reading public is so much more savvy now. Keeps us writers on our toes!

    Great post, Marilyn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Sussan or Susan (you'll have to let me know which you prefer) and I too have some classmates I'm friends with on Facebook (not too many left) and many new ones. The Internet has made things far easier in some ways--and more difficult in others.

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking of a friend that moved to the L.A. area several years ago. We keep in touch via phone and email. She also mentors me with my writing and helps in the publishing process. I thank the internet for helping maintain that relationship. On the other hand, a lot of misinformation can be found on the internet and sometimes it's hard to decide what is true and what isn't. I guess it is a two-edged sword, both good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Elaine, there's a lot of junk out there, but for those of us with some sense, it is most helpful.

      Delete