Serita Stevens, award winning writer of books, scripts and teacher of writing, will be speaking at the Universe Multi-Cultural Film Festival 2015 on April 18, 12 pm at 550 Deep Valley Drive -Rm 163 , Rolling Hills Estate Ca 90275 on the top of developing your characters and your story. Her newest books at the The Ultimate Writers Workbook For Books And Scripts (based on her teaching at major universities) and Against Her Will - a teenage drama. for info go to www.umfilms.org/2015/2015UMFFF I will also be speaking on here -
AFTV "WRITERS INTENSIVE" MONTHLY SEMINAR SERIES -- "Pre-Paid" Event
AN "OFFICIAL" LAFTV EDUCATIONAL EVENT FOR SCREENWRITERS, AUTHORS, AND FILMMAKERS AT EVERY LEVEL -- networking before and after.
EACH MONTH, 1 of 3EXPERIENCED INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS, WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE LAFTV Meetupwill generously give their time to share their knowledge with our members and lead a low-cost, monthly LAFTV "WRITERS INTENSIVE" SEMINAR SERIES. Our expert members will share their knowledge, ideas, insights, and suggestions regarding some amazing topics pertinent to the advancement of writers to get them to another level in their craft and career pursuits! Each session covers a wide variety of helpful topics, PLUS Q&A.
The APRIL 2015 WRITERS INTENSIVE session will be hosted byLAFTV Meetup member, writer and teacher, SERITA STEVENS(SEE BIO BELOW).
"Be Your Own Publicist – Finding and Working With Agents & Managers"
AGENTS & MANAGERS SEGMENT:
You've completed your script/manuscript, NOW WHAT?
Among the things a writer/director/producer or actor needs to master is being proactive in finding and working with agents or managers as well as maximizing opportunities to publicize their work -- knowing what works and what doesn't.
• Why do you need them and when
• 5 places to find agents/managers who will accept unproduced writers and how to approach them
• Key elements to writing the query letter to get agents and managers to read your work
• How to get agents/managers/publishers excited about you and avoid turning them off
• What you should expect from a literary agent or manager
• 3 ways to get your material seen WITHOUT agents
• How to be proactive in your career and relationship with your manager, agent or publisher
• How to know when it’s time to move on. When is loyalty too much?
• What do they get commissions on? What do they own and not own? (if anything at all)
• Why is it necessary for writers? When should you hire a publicist AND how much should you spend?
• 15 ways you can promote yourself
• Rules to abide by in the promotion of yourself and/or your product
• How to utilize your network to get to word out about your and your product.
• Identifying your publicity angle and target audience.
• Facebook and Social Media: what to post and what not to post. How often should you tweet or make Facebook notes? When is too much too much? How not to become a nudge.
• Different ways that you can get the word out besides social media.
• What does it really mean to network and how to do it appropriately.
BY THE END OF THE CLASS YOU WILL KNOW:
• How to promote yourself and your product to AGENTS, MANAGERS and MEDIA OUTLETS to MAXIMIZE your results
• How to keep momentum going through your entire writing career.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Serita Stevens, LAFTV Meetup member, is an accomplished, award-winning writer of over 39 books, stories, and scripts, as well as a teacher of various genres of writing. Several of her scripts have been produced and many more optioned. Serita has been published with Pocket Books, Simon And Schuster, Random House, Fawcett, Bantam Books, Dell, Intrigue Press, Writer's Digest, St Martin's Press, Palm University Press, True North, Motivational Press, Quill Press, Leisure, Zebra, Kensington Books, Deutschland Press, Inland Press, Silhouette First Love, Harlequin, Oak Tree Press, Hard Shell Press, Scene of the Crime Press, Law Technology, Avenue M, L A Splash, Springhouse Publishers, Adoption Today, and many other publishing houses.
Serita teaches at numerous universities and conferences. Her latest book, "The Ultimate Writers Workbook for Books And Scripts" is published by Motivational Press and is a hit on the lecture circuit. Serita enjoys helping new writers reach their goals and mentors many students.
LAFTV Members: $15
(Note: Your statement will show this transaction as a payment to: Women Helping Women Network)