Monday, February 2, 2015

Asking for Favors!

Asking For Favors

Grr - Some people! A person I met at an event asked me to get my manger to refer him to an agent.
However, he refuses to let me see his synopsis or script to evaluate it so I can see if it is worthy to send to her.  He doesn't understand that he is using her valuable time that she could be spending with her clients or making deals for us.  He further refuses to understand how, if she puts out and refers someone who's work is not up to her standards or to the liking of someone she is submitting to, that her word will be mud in the future and they will most likely not take any more calls from her. 
He goes on and on how wonderful his script and story is and that he would be attached as director to the project.  That is another no-no.  One simply does not insist on being director of your project unless you are funding it yourself.  The investor wants to make his money back and wants someone who is accomplished in the field. Seldom will they want to take a chance on an unknown.
I told him that she was too busy with her own clients right now that if she referred anyone to one of the top agents, it would be me or one of the people she is already working with. Then he proceeds to argue with me on all the great and glowing responses he is getting from heads of departments - Spielberg's PR, Ron Meyer's assistant, and I forget who else.
I asked him if they were so enamored of his work then why didn't they make a recommendation for him? His response is that they said they just don't do that. But they do if they really like your material. 
            If someone does not understand that it takes a TEAM effort to make a film and refuses to work with other people than I really can't help him because he will argue with everyone about how great his shit it. 

PEOPLE ALL OUR WORK CAN USE IMPROVEMENT AND NOTHING IS GOLDEN. 
IF YOU ARE ASKING SOMEONE TO GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO HELP YOU, THAN DON'T ARGUE WITH THEM ABOUT HOW GREAT YOU ARE!


No comments:

Post a Comment